Bean Splitter

The lost American Dream

kkrusher
    Admin

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

The lost American Dream

Post  kkrusher on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 am

http://detnews.com/article/20100225/METRO08/2250419/LeDuff--Blue-collar-workers-hanging-on-by-thread

I saw this story this morning and it really hit home. I work at a Ford plant and have friends that work in manufacturing also. During the last 5-8 years I have watched the state of Michigan slowly choke itself to death due to NAFTA and high paid unskilled Union workers. Last month I was at the Ford YPSI plant, this plant had been standing since WWII and helped in the WAR effort by building parts for tanks and planes. Anyways... I watched all the presses get packed up and shipped to other plants in the world. Now the buildings are being torn down. Sad to see a plant that once had 5000 people in it get torn down. I have also helped with a few other Ford/visteon owned plants close. Most of the buildings are in the process of being torn down. Hoosier worked at one of the plants that was closed a short time ago, another casulty of NAFTA. I feel lucky that I still have a job that I like but dont know what the fate of my plant is.
    Here at my plant we make plastic fuel tanks and painted bumpers for several Ford cars and trucks. The plant is currently shopping the bumper bussiness out because it is a losing endevor. The rumor here is that the bumpers business will be gone by 4th quarter of this year. After that the plant will be 1/2 empty. The building that I work at is nearly 1.3 million square feet so the empty area will be quite large. I dont know if the plant can just make plastic fuel tanks and still make a profit. Just saw this article and it reminded me of how crappy Michigan is right now. It is really sad to see our great manufacturing businesses take the low road and close. If you want to see a good documentry on detroit and what happened to it, search for Crowder on PJ TV. There is a really good story on how Detroit was a good city and now it is just an empty shell. Sorry for the long rant but I am just tried of watching so many of my good friends lose their manufacturing jobs because of NAFTA.

Get your Portable ID!
    FifthGear
    Rank 4 Post Hooligan
    Rank 4 Post Hooligan

Number of posts : 420
    Registration date : 2009-09-02

Re: The lost American Dream

Post  FifthGear on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:45 am

I HATE reading stories like this. Its heart breaking to see whats going on in the US for the blue collar workers. But, the unions are the most to blame here, as they keep asking for more and more and striking till they get it. The problem with that is, they priced themselves so high it made it uneconomical to keep the work their. If Unions would have been happy with the $16-18/hour wages there would still be a lot more jobs here in the US rather than pushing it overseas. Not that Im pointing fingers and saying they are 100% to blame, but it played a big part in everything that is going on.

Funny enough, they talk about outsourcing jobs overseas. They mention Guangzhou, China… I lived there for three years when I was 10-13. I have seen first hand the places where those people work and live. They are perfectly happy working in what the US would consider BAD working environment and are perfectly happy working for what they need to get by ( no more, no less ). If we lived the way they do we wouldn’t have this issue. But unfortunately, here in the US we want shiny and flashy things we don’t need and feel like we are ENTITLED to things like higher pay and whatnot. If the workers over here didn’t bitch so much and were happy to get by a lot of people would still have jobs here in the US.

Pic from me @ 12 in China…

Number of posts : 890
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post  kkrusher on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:43 am

My favorite UAW story was the Visteon Connersville plant. Ford/Visteon agreed to keep the plant open if the UAW members took consessions. The UAW leaders were pleading with the hourly to vote yes to the consessions and the plant would stay open. IF the UAW members did not take the consessions the plant was scheduled to close in 2 years. The UAW members voted no by an overwhelming amount and pretty much told Visteon/Ford that the plant is too important to close and it did in less than 1 year. My plant took all the fuel tank programs from that plant.

UAW greed to the fullest extent.

Get your Portable ID!
    EVILashes
    Rank 5 Forum CutThroat
    Rank 5 Forum CutThroat

Number of posts : 571
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post  EVILashes on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:06 am

shit sucks, but with no money, nothing gets bought. it sucks when the economy takes a shit almost out of nowhere and you can't do shit about it, i guess just be thankful

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:37 pm